Thursday, April 10, 2008

Boats on land and a rising lake

While visiting with baby Eliza on Sunday, Thomas also had some time to play and do the things that "big" kids do. He managed to talk Papa into cleaning up one of the kayaks and then he had him pull him around the yard a little bit.



It didn't take long before Papa realized it would be a lot easier to pull Thomas in the water. So they put it right on the shoreline of the lake and Papa pulled him around for a short while in the water. I was hanging out with Eliza at the time, so no pictures. :)
But I do have a rare picture of our dog, Sully, in the water:
Before Thomas went down for his nap, he pitched a mighty fit because I wouldn't let him take a certain car to bed with him for his nap. He loves this car that belonged to his Uncle Andrew when he was a little boy. I let him play with it and he takes great care of it, but it does have small parts that can break off, so not the best toy for taking to bed with him. So he cried, and cried, and cried until Nannie finally went up and consoled him enough so he'd go to sleep.

But as soon as he woke up, he wanted the car. And then he would not let it go (until he decided that driving the truck would be much more fun). He carried it with him everywhere:
After the drive in the truck, he sweet-talked Nannie into pulling him around the yard in the wagon. Of course he had to visit his favorite "hill."
You may recall from my post back around Thanksgiving that the water at the lake was down considerably. I believe it got somewhere between 6-8 feet lower than it should have been. I didn't think it was possible for it to come up too much before years passed. But, it has risen significantly (at least four feet). They might actually have a decent "beach" this summer after all! Mom took Thomas to show him the new shoreline and of course Thomas HAD to touch it. Since Sully was getting in, he really wanted to join her, but we convinced him it was much to cold for him. Sully does wear a coat, after all.



We still need to work with him a little bit on not running down the dock. Apparently he didn't hear our numerous requests not to run...
But once he got to the end, he was very impressed to see there is actually water under the dock now!
So he and Nannie had a quick sit down to throw some shells back in the water and watch the ducks.
Just to see how much the lake has come up, check out the Thanksgiving post I mentioned, and then see this:
Posted by Picasa

Well, Sir Thomas has been on a nap strike today. This is the third time he's done such in the past two weeks. Please, everyone tell me that my child is NOT about to drop his nap right before the baby comes. I don't believe I could handle that. I love my child dearly, but I do need a break from him sometimes too.
I even took him the aquarium today and met a friend for lunch, hoping all the running around would wear him out enough to warrant a nap. At least he's been relatively content in his crib for the past two hours or so while I've done some much-need yardwork. Guess it's time to rescue him.

No comments: