Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Happy 4th birthday, Thomas!

I will have to find more time for a proper birthday post later, but didn't want the day to pass without saying on here, "Happy birthday Thomas!"


I feel like we've been celebrating Thomas' birthday for days, but today we made sure we continued to do all the things that he likes best. Since we had dinner at his favorite pizza joint after his birthday party the other day (from which the picture above comes), today he decided he wanted to go to Chuck E. Cheese for a playdate with his best girl friend, Lily (and her sister). And then tonight his neighborhood buddy, Jack, and his family joined us for Kid's Night at Moe's. What little boy wouldn't be happy with a day like that? :) And he had time for much bike riding in between. It was a good day.

These past four years have been such a blessing. I don't think often of my pregnancy with him, in fact, it is all such a blur. But today my mom came by to do some flower planting in our yard and to give Thomas a birthday hug. When she did, she said, "I'm so glad you are here." And I almost got teary-eyed. Even though I don't always remember, it was such a journey to get him here. Recently I came across a book someone gave him at his birth and the person had written inside the cover, "...We are some of the many who prayed you into this world." It is so true. When I tell people that my water broke at 16 weeks with him, they look at me like I have four heads. He is such a miraculous blessing. I am so thankful that God gave him to us, to keep and raise in this world.

Those twenty weeks of bedrest seem like nothing now. Those nights of fear and anxious anticipation, praying (and begging and pleading) that God would just give him a chance, are all a distant memory. And we have this amazing child named Thomas who brings us so much joy. Happy birthday, Thomas. We love you dearly.

No comments: