
Fried Okra
Last week, while visiting my parents, Mom, the boys and I went to lunch at "Bubba's." Not the actual name of the restaurant, but those who know my family will know that Bubba is the owner and a dear family friend. We actually went into town on a different mission, but the shop was closed, so Mom instead suggested we go to Bubba's for lunch...particularly because Thomas could get his favorite...fried okra.
When the waitress came around to take our order, Thomas informed her that he wanted fried okra. Then I started to tell her what the boys would have and I when I said "Fried okra" (not even noticing if it was actually on the menu because it always is on Sundays when we usually go there), she said, "I'm sorry. We don't have fried okra. That's only on Sundays and occasionally as the vegetable of the day." Thomas looked puzzled. Then I told him they didn't have it and we'd have to get something else. Well, you would have thought that I had told him I was sending him away forever to work in a labor camp or something. His face went blank, his lips quivered, his bottom lip came out and then he started BAWLING. I mean, totally bawling.
The waitress looked panicked (and slightly shocked) and said, "I'll be right back!" and she ran away. We tried our best to calm Thomas but he was inconsolable. The waitress returned a few moments later to tell us that Bubba said he had a little bit of okra and he was more than happy to fry some up for Thomas. It still took Thomas a few minutes to fully recover, but by the time his okra arrived, he ate every last piece with no problem. Though when it arrived, I guess it was a little less breaded than usual and he said, "Hey, this okra is green!" Ha ha.
Thank goodness Bubba looks out for us as this is the second time he's had to cook up a batch just for Thomas! Bubba has always had a special spot for Thomas, so lucky us!
Now the next funny story...
Half-naked truck driver
This afternoon the boys and I were playing out in the front yard. Thomas has this large dump truck that he was pushing around the yard (he was pushing it so fast that he was running). His new pants are a tad large in the waist and I had not yet tightened the adjustable waistband (even though I had been asking him all day to let me do this). So as he was running, his pants kept sliding down to reveal the top of his underwear in the back. He'd pull them up and keep running.
Well, I guess at some point he was having too much fun running that he didn't notice his pants were down to his knees. He laughed about it and told me his pants were falling down. Then he proceeded to take them off. So there he is, running around our front yard, pushing his truck with nothing but a long sleeved shirt and his Lightning McQueen underwear. Noticing how funny I thought he was (even though I was pleading with him to put his pants back on), he decided to be really funny and announced he was taking his underwear off too. And he did. Then he continued to run all around the front yard in nothing but his long-sleeved t-shirt pushing that big ol' dump truck.
I was laughing so hard I was nearly crying...all the while pleading with him to put his clothes back on. I was practically laying on the ground laughing (I was on my knees but kept putting my head down on the ground to laugh), and Parker came over to me. He thought I was crying and got this very concerned look on his face and started crying.
So there we were, half-naked boy running rampant around the front yard while his mother is doubled over in laughter and his brother is sobbing. Oh the fun.
Yummy candy corn
Thomas' Nana gave him a Halloween present a few weeks ago that included a little plastic pumpkin with some candy corn in it. He ate a few here and there for a few days. Then he kind of forgot about it and it ended up on top of our dresser. I must confess I dipped in it a few times and there were only a few more left in there.
The other night I was bathing Parker and Thomas had not quite joined him. When he finally came in, I asked him what he had been doing he muttered something about candy corn. I asked him what he was talking about and he said he ate the candy corn. I asked him how he got to them and he said, "I pulled out the drawer and I climbed up there and I got 'em!" The thought of him standing there trying to figure out how to get up to the little pumpkin cracks me up. Though of course I told him that he should not be climbing on drawers or anything of that sort.
Anyway, and then he said, "There weren't many left, but they sure were yummy!"
No comments:
Post a Comment